Get Involved Support MCCJ
Through your generous donations, you help support programs to advance understanding and respect among people of all cultures, religions and races through education, advocacy and conflict resolution.
DOCUMENTS & LINKS
Testimony from MetroTown 2012 Delegates
- ABOUT METROTOWN
- Camp MetroTown is a six-day summer program for local teens with five curricular strands: leadership, community, conflict resolution, diversity training, and civic engagement. Through workshops, interactive presentations, dialogue circles, and activities that stimulate creativity, MetroTown gives youth who might not otherwise emerge as leaders, a voice to seek change in their communities.
- MCCJ held our first Camp MetroTown on the campus of St. Thomas University in the summer of 2011. MetroTown will return to St. Thomas University from July 21st -26th 2013, where 50 high school students from communities across Miami Dade County will come together to build community and gain skills to become future leaders.
- This life-changing program gives young men and women the ability to speak about social issues that divide their communities and cause them pain. Youth who participate in Camp MetroTown report that they feel empowered, that they can be themselves for the first time, and that they realize they are not alone. Local experts in civic engagement, local history, anti-prejudice training, and adolescent counseling provide MetroTown delegates with a wealth of leadership tools to take back to their schools and communities. Most importantly, these young adults leave MetroTown with a vision of a path forward, feeling hopeful about change.
- MetroTown Core Values
- Each person matters—Every individual in our community is valuable and each individual has a voice worthy of being heard and a perspective worthy of being understood.
- We embrace differences—Our unique individual experiences, beliefs, visions and personalities enrich our communities.
- We seek understanding—When we are open to understanding another’s reality, we gain empathy and respect for others, conflict dissipates and relationships begin.
- We create a safe and trusting environment—Our community offers protection and support to all community members, creating a caring and open space for each individual to be his or herself, without fear of judgment or rejection.
- We seek change—Through big and small steps, empowered individuals can foster understanding where there was misunderstanding, and take action to create more just, and inclusive communities.
|METROTOWN FLYER 2013.pdf||1.16 MB|
|MetroTown 2013 Application Packet 2013.pdf||1.35 MB|